Do you notice that your skin looks dull during summertime? If yes, then you should know this is because of the free flow of your skin’s natural oils. Also, the sun’s rays lend a tanned and wrinkled appearance to your skin. If you spend long hours in the sun, then your skin could develop freckles, too. Besides, you could experience a burning sensation. More so, if you are thinking of opting for tanning beds, know that there is the risk of contracting melanoma – a type of skin cancer.
Understand that melanin is a skin protein and causes tanning. In fact, the melanin cells are known as melanocytes that are responsible for the color of your skin. Now, if you spend long hours in the sun, your skin color changes. This is because the body produces more melanin for protecting the skin’s deeper layers.
Well, there is an array of chemical products that allege they can save your skin from sun damage. Even so, their claims may not always be true. And in some cases, they could harm your skin as well. Are you wondering what to do in such a scenario? Well, you can opt for some natural remedies to prevent your skin from developing a tan.
Handy Tips for Protecting Skin from the sun’s rays
Fortunately, there are ways to avoid getting a skin tan. You can consider wearing protective gear – such as hat, clothes, and sunglasses. More so, the below-listed tips could prove to be of some help.
- If possible, choose the early morning and late evening hours for your outdoor activities. This is advisable because during the interval between 10 am and 4 pm, the sun shines bright, so you must avoid sun exposure at these times.
- Always apply sunscreen before spending time in the sun. Moreover, choose the varieties that are 40 SPF, or above. Further, apply a fresh coat of sunscreen when out in the sun for extended hours. More importantly, you should apply sunscreen and, then, go out in the sun only after 15 minutes or so.
- For a cooling effect on the skin, you should apply cucumber on the affected areas. Also, repeat the remedy few times in a day for effective results.
- Ensure that you remain hydrated during the summer season. By doing so, your skin does not become dry. Likewise, you should drink around 15 glasses of water in a day to maintain the body hydration.
- The skin experts, also, recommend splashing cold water on the face, few times in a day. This helps to rejuvenate the skin.
- Keeping the skin moisturized is imperative during the summer months, too. However, use the water-based moisturizers for toning the skin.
- If donning make-up during summertime, opt for the mineral varieties, and not the cream-based variants. In the process, your skin breathes more freely and, also, glows.
- To cover the face when standing in the sun, opt for the wide-brimmed hats.
- Use lip balms and eye creams to protect the delicate skin around your eyes.
- To keep the skin fresh, take cold showers.
- If using a skin toner, use the herbal varieties only. When you do so, your skin does not become oily. Additionally, they help to get rid of sebum, dirt, and excess oil.
Other than the above recommendations, you must consume fresh fruits and vegetables because they are skin-friendly. Through the intake of these foods, you can raise the count of antioxidants. In the process, the body’s ability to fight the injurious free radicals improves.